Caught this on TheStreet.com, but thought it worth sharing. I’m big on a recycle-reuse-reduce philosophy, so these make a lot of sense to me. Plus, they point to a self-reliance, self-sufficiency attitude which we all could do with a little more of in our lives. But on the keeping up with the Joneses, I confess I don’t have a neighbor named Jones, so I’ll have to find someone else to ignore.
You can read the details of each commandment here, but the 10 commandments themselves pretty well tell the whole story.
- Thou shalt do things yourself.
- Thou shalt not waste.
- Thou shalt not pay full retail price.
- Thou shalt ignore the Joneses.
- Thou shalt look for alternatives before buying.
- Thou shalt buy used.
- Thou shalt be patient.
- Thou shalt purchase by value, not price.
- Thou shalt only buy when you have the money.
- Thou shalt not buy things you don’t need.